September 9, 2017

Please reload

Recent Posts

You Should Know About Being Happy & Healthy

December 29, 2017

1/3
Please reload

Featured Posts

You Should Know About Being Happy & Healthy

December 29, 2017

 

This is my birthday present from my sister. The message on my new coffee mug reminds me to: Do more of what makes you happy. She is the younger and wiser sister.

 

While I’m no expert on either—happiness or health—I just know what has worked for me.

 

By eating well and skiing a lot and biking most of the other days when there was no snow, my daily decisions helped me through brain surgery and other trying times during my decades here on this green earth.

 

 

About Decisions

With each decision that I can make, I weigh it. I imagine a horizontal line with numbers from 1 to 10 on the right and -1 to -10 on the left.

 

My better choices are tallied and added to the right and the not-so-good choices go on the left side.

 

As long as I continue to add the majority of my decisions to the right, I am happier and healthier each day and in the long run. Not every decision is good nor every day perfect, but this mental, ‘pro and con’ scale allows me to evaluate my decisions and usually, the good wins.

 

While I cannot control everything that happens to me, I can control how I respond. I also need to remember even a decision “not to” is still a decision.

 

The “Top 10” Lists

At this time of year, I thought it would be appropriate to share a few ideas.

Take what you want from either list or both.

Borrow one idea as your “New Year’s Resolution”.

Or try a new suggestion each week.

Or adopt one recommendation and test it out for month—or until it becomes your good habit.

The suggestions are not in any order of importance; that is for you to decide.

 

Do More of What Makes You HAPPY!

 

1. Make or listen to happy music.

 

2. Be in nature as often as you can.

 

3. Smile!

 

4. Seek out positive people.

 

5. Look up.

 

6. Watch an inspirational movie.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7. Reserve “self-preservation” time.

 

8. Play!

 

9. Book an ‘internet-free’ day.

 

10. Read about someone, who did something for others and/or the world.

 

 

Do More of What Makes You HEALTHY!

 

1. “Let (organic, plant) food be thy medicine.”

 

2. Use chopsticks instead.

 

3. Eat healthy 80% of the time and celebrate the other 20%.

 

4. Go outside!

 

5. Drink enough water each day: half of your body weight in ounces; increase if you live in the mountains and/or play hard.

 

6. Eat a rainbow of colors found in nature.

 

7. Check it out on Netflix:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8. Savor each bite.

 

9. Try international cuisine and different spices.

 

10. Check it out of the library:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Wishing You a Very Happy and Healthy 2018!”

 

By proactively trying to be happy and healthy, balance can be found—no matter what life throws at us.

 

These ideas do require your curiosity, some of your time, perhaps rearranging of your budget, and a little bit of energy, which in return will give you more energy. Promise!

 

Thank you for your time,

-Jill Murphy Long